Saturday 17 February 2018

Big Collar , Little Band Raglans .




Blogging activity in no way reflects my sewing activities. I have made a couple of beige camisoles and acacias . I can see one of the advantages of sewing indie patterns is being able to write I made some acacias rather than I sewed some Kwik Sew 2100s but it boils down to  that I made some beige  underthingies and they are extremely basic and necessary and much better than shop bought especially in terms of comfort but totally boring and private so no way I will blog those.



Much more blog worthy are the raglan pullovers I sewed. I completed these last month but only just convinced my youngest to model for me ( it has been disgustingly humid and hot ) on the proviso they were headless photos ( morning , just got up , getting ready for work etc ) .



The pattern is from August 2017 , a raglan sleeve pullover with a ginormous collar . The fabric is a cosy , soft chevron thick knit from Darn Cheap`s $2/metre table.  I know this is seasonally inappropriate but I really wanted to get my daughter`s sewing out of the way so I could then be totally selfish and just sew for me. Also she is about to leave home for uni ! Happy and sad at the same time . This was a very easy project except for the pattern matching. Does anyone know is it even possible to match the raglan sleeves and the chevrons ? I think the answer should be don`t worry, who cares , life is too short but pattern matching is the holy grail for home sewers - one of the things that we do better than bought. Well  all I can say is that I tried my best.


I know this last shot is not headless as promised so please don`t look at her head but focus on the fluffy thing on the floor that is about to approach  her foot for a good tickly licking session.
Well now I have my selfless sewing out of the way ( three tops , one dress , one pullover in the last couple of months for my DDs ) the natural progession was to sew a raglan pullover for moi !


I used McCalls 6992 which was an entirely unnecessary pattern purchase  since  I already have an old Kwik Sew Raglan pattern and a saddle shoulder version in a Knipmode magazine but influenced by seeing so many fabulous versions out in sewing blog world . I used a navy and grey argyle knit from Clear It bought late last year.


This was another easy project BUT my neckline looks so much wider than others I`ve seen  and that annoys me because I used new , bought in a proper shop fabric rather than my usual op shop or gifted stuff . Perhaps I accidently stretched out the neckline applying my ( very old ) stashed ribbing ? Last time I sewed myself something with proper shop bought fabric that was also a dud so I am starting to get paranoid here. Well this pullover is not a complete dud  and I have worn it a few times .I will give  the pattern another try but will find some cheap opshop windcheater material next time.



Well so seriously sewing gurus could I have matched my stripey chevrons at the raglan Sleeves ?
And did you know that raglan sleeves were named after Lord Raglan (1788- 1855 ) a British commander in the Crimean War? No neither did I until just now. 

9 comments:

  1. I've tried and failed twice at pattern matching across raglans, So I'm no help. Yours looks pretty good to me though. I call that a pass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks , that makes me feel better. The pattern isn't really matched , I was just able to line up the major colour chevrons.

      Delete
  2. I'd give the pattern matching a pass too. And I think the wider neckline on the windcheater looks good on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paola. Despite the wide neckline it is very wearable and I have worn it many times.

      Delete
  3. Looks like you're getting prepared for the cooler weather. The wide neck line can allow for a pop of colour to show from underneath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy that the weather is a bit cooler now. I have worn the windcheater a few times already.

      Delete
  4. I had an issue with the wide neckline on that pattern as well. I have permanently altered my pattern now to make the neckline smaller.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to know it is not just me. Next time I make it I will also add to the neck and shoulders !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh those unneccesary pattern purchases we just have to have! I find modern raglan patterns far too large in the neck as well...

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for visiting. Please feel free to leave a comment . I am open to any constructive criticism and comments because I love learning and trying to grow in any way possible and enjoy discussions.