Wednesday 31 October 2012

Kwik Sew 3854- Sailor Star Shorts


As I sit here safe and snug in my home I admit it doesn`t feel right to be writing something as trivial as a sewing post so I am sending all my wishes to those who are being affected by Hurricane Sandy that all will be safe but according to the live new reports it is certainly going to be a terrible event.

My middle daughter did not want to buy any new clothes this summer instead she wanted me to sew her a pair of shorts and a dress and I can now tick one off the list.
She wanted a vintage feel to her shorts and something a bit different. After a marathon trip to Spotlight and searching literally every pattern catalogue she chose Kwik Sew 3854  and navy blue twill printed with white stars .


Trying to live by my motto of RRR - Reduce, Recycle and Reuse we went through my stash and she found a remnant of soft cotton - maroon /navy houndstooth and six gold buttons from a previous 90s project ( when gold buttons were all the rage ).
I thought I was so clever to be able to cut out the side and back waist band pieces and pocket pieces as she wanted from the remnant . I thought I had been careful in tracing out all the pattern pieces but  it  seems my skills in counting are as good as my talents in trying to persuade my middle DD to model the shorts. I had not cut out the main pocket piece that is on show and I did not have enough fabric left to cut them. My daughter looked crestfallen and wanted me to start all over again. Luckily I had just enough fabric to cut bias strips to sew along the pocket opening edge  and she was happy with that - phew - I admit I can be a bit lazy in some ways.


The shorts open by the flap in the front unlike your usual pants.
As per usual the Kwik Sew instructions were excellent = clear and concise with good diagrams. They clearly explain about understitching and the correct procedure for trimming seams. The only things I did differently were to sew the side seams last to get in an extra fitting opportunity and finished the waist bands with some satin bias binding. I also managed to sew up the gap at the front flap/ inner pockets more than suggested because my daughter could easily get the shorts on .

Another inner shot .

Overall these are a cute pair of shorts and I would recommend this pattern . Another bonus is they don`t take much fabric at all so they were alot cheaper than buying any RTW pair. At the end of the day my daughter is happy she got the unique pair she wanted. Now hopefully she will like the dress to come.  Stay Safe . Cheers Janine.

12 comments:

  1. They are fantastic Janine! And so well-finished on the inside too. I really like the contrast waistband and pocket edging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those shorts are great. Love the buttons and waist details. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are the cutest shorts, with darling buttons. I love your pocket save, very clever.
    My younger daughter has written me a lovely long list of summer clothes to make for her, but she is not as lucky as your daughter, I said I won't start until she finishes hemming the skirt we made together in the Sept school holidays, so I am pretty sure I won't have to do anything about her list until about January :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! Love your fabric mix!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are really cute shorts. I have admired just this style of shorts on young girls last summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been avoiding looking in the pattern books for such a long time (I own too many patterns already!) that I've never seen this pattern. The pattern is fantastic and I love the fabric combination you've picked - I may have come of fashion age in the 90s so that's why it appeals to me....

    Hmmm, next Spotlight sale I may have to purchase yet another pattern

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cool pair of patriotic looking shorts for your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The shorts look fantastic. So well made and a great combination of fabric and buttons

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Janine, thank you for your comment on my blog about the Liberty of London shirt. It was definitely a one-off find for me as I just don't have the right nose for sussing out treasures or I'm looking in the wrong places! It was at the Ascot Vale St.Vinnies. Anna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow those are AWESOME!!! Plus I LOVE your daughter's commitment to handmade clothing! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are great shorts and look beautifully finished. I'd better hope my daughter doesn't see them or she'll want a pair too, I might just stash the pattern though:)

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for visiting. Please feel free to leave a comment . I am open to any constructive criticism and comments because I love learning and trying to grow in any way possible and enjoy discussions.