Tuesday 7 February 2012

Kwik Sew 3573 - My Sewing Bucket List.


I have been procrasting sewing my Liberty fabric as I am not entirely sure I want to make a dress. So instead I pulled out this pattern above  I bought last month and cut into some fabric I purchased  when we visited China in 2008. I was told it was silk at the time but having just bought some `genuine` Gucci handbags for my daughters for a few dollars I was quite cynical about this. However I loved the print and didn`t really care  . I bought some black  `satin` from Darn Cheap Fabrics in Melbourne recently to complete this top and as I was cutting into the fake satin I realised there was quite a difference between this and the satin from China. Shame on me! - it was real silk satin and I had just unknowingly ticked off one of my bucket list wishes - to sew a real silk satin piece of clothing. It was just as well I didn`t realise it was silk as this would still be folded up in my cupboard!


As per usual the Kwik Sew pattern was drafted beautifully and the instructions were so easy you could be half asleep and still do a really good job. It is a kimono styled top with a contrast sleeve and waist bands. There is some gentle gathering of the front and back pieces into the waist band and the neckline is finished with their wonderful bias binding / instructions. I am really happy with the result and I would highly recommend this pattern .  It just goes to show I shouldn`t be scared  to use my too precious fabric in case something goes wrong. Perhaps now I should look at that Liberty lawn and treat it  just as some cheap quilting cotton from Spotlight.

Back view showing the kimono type sleeves. I love how the wideness of the shoulders makes my waist and hips look small - it is not like that in real life .
There is something that amuses me about the last two patterns I have sewn. Usually burda necklines go down to your navel and Kwik Sew is quite demure. However the last Burda dress neckline was  conservative and this Kwik Sew Top does show alot ! Perhaps there were some pattern maker spooks who infiltrated Burda/ Kwik Sew camp . Anyway here`s to sewing our good stuff. Cheers Janine.

9 comments:

  1. That is a super flattering style. I love that you sewed the silk so fearlessly, not realizing it was genuine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely garment for that 0nly-cost- a few $- and -a-plane-ticket-to -China silk. The fabric is lovely, and you have picked exactly the right pattern for it. This is something I am sure I will not be able to do with my 12 year old Liberty lawn, which is why it is still folded in my cupboard. Very bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is such a pretty top! the fabric worked beautifully with that kimono style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how pretty and you wear it so well...I can never keep wrap styles from getting all woodgy on me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you for sewing up your good fabrics... and it looks absolutely lovely on you!
    And we won't think about the fact that those "Gucci" bags were made by children getting paid 2c a day... and that the Chinese are illegally using the name of and sabotaging a genuine family business.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel terrible about the thought of abuse of children in any way. Sadly I understand now about this but that genuine designer brands are also guilty of exploiting workers which is even worse in some ways considering the exorbitant prices they charge. A small point though Gucci is no longer a family business . It also makes me wonder about anything that is made in China -how can we possibly know how the workers are paid and treated and unfortunately it is impossible to avoid buying overseas made items.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is probably the best way to sew 'the good stuff' without jinxing the project - by sewing it accidentally, thinking it was just 'the average stuff' :-). I inadverdently sewed up a Liberty top recently... have to say it sews quite nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful fabric! So much better as a pretty blouse to wear rather than in the stash? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Utterly gorgeous fabric sewn into a beautiful top! I hear you about cutting into your "good" fabric. I know exactly what you mean. I am very new to sewing and have some gorgeous fabrics. I tend to not think about the price or the "authenticity" of the fabric rather than how much I love the look and feel of it. I have some "cheap" fabric from the US that I absolutely adore and I have the patterns picked out for them but can't find it in my heart to cut into them... You did a great job with yours.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for visiting. Please feel free to leave a comment . I am open to any constructive criticism and comments because I love learning and trying to grow in any way possible and enjoy discussions.