Saturday 28 January 2012

Burda 7808 - Summer Dress Nirvana


An outside front view .

I have finished Burda 7808 and I am  pleased with the results . It did meet my expectations of a `perfect` summer dress - good coverage, touching my body in minimal areas but doesn`t look like a sack ( in my opinion anyway ) . The mystery fabric I used is soft and drapey , a very  pretty  green colour  and feels very smooth. It does wrinkle fairly easily but irons beautifully . I would highly recommend this pattern for others to try for a cool summer dress. The pattern comes together easily especially as I was able to eliminate the side zipper ( anything to make life simpler!) The dress is easy to get into and out without calling for the fire brigade  . The front and back inserts were a little tricky to get really nice corners so this pattern would not be suitable for an absolute beginner. However the insert is what makes this dress - they are shaped so the dress is not too baggy on the top . I think the yoke would be nice in lace or a contrast fabric or even velvet for a winter version. The other odd thing about these inserts are the neck line does not reach your belly button ( the usual burda designers must have been on strike or sedated or something ! )I have added lace and buttons for this version. At the bottom of the front yoke there is some slight gathering so the bottom of the dress is loose and floaty providing a bit of circulation for air .
Anyway not too bad for a free dress! 
Cheers until next time. Janine

Back Insert  showing princess seamed shaping.

Front Insert  with lace and buttons.


An inside back view !

10 comments:

  1. Janine, your dress looks lovely, cool and comfortable - definitely well suited to the warm weather. I love the colours in the material - so pretty.
    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colours of this dress on you - and the neckline looks super! Well done...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty and cool, the neckline details are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the feedback - I was really unsure about the colours on me - I am hopeless with that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that looks lovely - loose enough to be really cool and summery but fitted enough to be flattering. I really like how the back has the same sort of yoke part as the front. And you've fitted it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty dress! How did it qualify as free?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I've just re-read that all was given to you by your neighbour, disregard my question!! How nice of her to give you such a lovely package, it looks so pretty on you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh I love this, it is a perfect summer dress!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really lovely! The bias bound armholes are so neatly done too. I am not a fan of facings either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cool green color-it looks like a quiet summer day.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for visiting. Please feel free to leave a comment . I am open to any constructive criticism and comments because I love learning and trying to grow in any way possible and enjoy discussions.