Monday 14 November 2011

DIY Top Stitching Thread and a Sneak Peak.

Sewing time has been severely  restricted in my little sewing world leading to symptoms of withdrawal - buying fabric when one already has more than enough , thinking and dreaming sewing and sometimes getting a little crabby . I have however been sewing a skirt in small increments over the last couple of weeks and today being a `real` day off I have made quite a bit more progress.
Now about top stitching thread - I am aware that this stuff exists but either the shops I frequent do not sell it or I am doing a `man` look ( a thinly veiled reference to my husband who can not find things even if they are right under his nose ) . A few years ago a sewed a Kwik Sew jeans jacket and it had this great little easy tip for top stitching . You simply thread your machine with two spools of thread.
This provides a subtle but definite difference to the top stitching. It also means that there are more choices with the colours you can use.I have obviously used a very closely coloured matched thread which is more forgiving of any wonky stitches.
 I have been really enjoying sewing my skirt because the fabric is such a pretty summery peachy pink colour and a divine heavy weight vintage linen with all its slight variations in texture and colour.It is also very easy to sew . I hope to finish this soon because our weather is warming up now and I am looking forward to enjoying my new skirt. Until then, Cheers Janine.


6 comments:

  1. Great tip, and I just have to comment that my husband does the "man looking" thing all the time too and it drives me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great tip. I've been using it more and more this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your phrase "a man look" made me smile - I know just what you mean! I love the colour of your beautiful linen - it's going to make a lovely skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A clever trick! Pink is one of my favorite colors, so I'm anxious to see your new skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. but...do both threads fit through the eye of the needle? I'm serious, do they?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great tip, and I can see why you love that fabric! Lovely!
    Thanks for your comment, and I had no idea Stitches had even noticed I existed, much less that they were doing a review! I'm always a little surprised when I see people are even reading my blog...

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for visiting. Please feel free to leave a comment . I am open to any constructive criticism and comments because I love learning and trying to grow in any way possible and enjoy discussions.